What We Do
Thousands of Michigan families affected by autism face never-ending physical, psychological, emotional and financial challenges. Minimizing, even eliminating those challenges is why Autism Alliance of Michigan (AAoM) was created. AAoM is prepared - at no cost - to counsel, advocate and connect families to evidence-based care and support; however long it takes.
Guided by the vision that people with autism will lead lives that meet their greatest potential, the mission of AAoM is to lead efforts to raise expectations and expand opportunities for people touched by autism across the lifespan. Our pillars of focus include:
• Navigation: Connect to a free lifelong guide with professional help and answers for anyone touched by autism.
• Education: Provide comprehensive education to families and the community, while advocating at the statewide level for safe and inclusive education environments to foster independence.
• Employment: Maximize employment opportunities for individuals of all abilities across industries, through innovation and partnerships.
• Special Education: Improve special education outcomes in Michigan through individual, grassroots and system-wide reform efforts
• Independent Living: Drive initiatives that allow individuals with autism to attain the independent or supported living they choose, such as transportation, college, housing and insurance.
NEW THIS YEAR: Online, web-based family, caregiver and community education on topics geared to the target population’s specific needs.