What We Do
We provide services at K-12 schools, Head Starts, and community gathering places in Detroit and across Southeast Michigan to help CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS AND THEIR FAMILIES become thriving members of the community.
It would be an understatement to say that 2020 was a tumultuous year for all of us, particularly for children with special needs and their families. In the face of such adversity, we are proud to say that the Detroit Institute for Children (DIC) continues to be dynamic in responding to such unprecedented challenges and adapting our services to the needs of those we proudly serve! You are a valued part of our work, and your support is particularly vital to us now as we attempt to move on from the effects of COVID.
Our Community-based Programs
• Our five-week summer program helped prevent the loss of therapeutic progress with approximately 65 underserved children with special needs.
• Last summer due to COVID-19, the program successfully pivoted to a teletherapy format involving more than 70 participants.
• The impact of COVID has led to the need to expand our programming with LEAP (Learning, Enrichment, and Achievement Programs).
• LEAP builds on the strengths of our previous summer program but will serve a greater number of children and families (125 – 150) with expanded programming both during the summer and school year.
• We will launch LEAP this summer at our new location on the campus of The Marygrove Conservancy.
Our Schools Programs
• Each year, our staff members provide 60,000+ hours of services both in-person and remotely to children enrolled at more than 180 public and charter K-12 schools, Head Starts, and Early Childhood programs across Detroit, Southeast, and West Michigan.
• Detroit and Wayne County are home to 150 of these locations, including 90 Head Start locations.
• The school districts we serve in Southeastern Michigan enroll nearly 50% of special education students.
• 77% of the K-12 students receiving services are eligible for free or reduced lunch programs.
With 90% of every dollar directly supporting our programs, our goal is to continue evolving and increasing our impact with new and expanded community-based programs for the children and families we serve.